The Wasteland

I admit that  “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock”  made me interested in T.S  Eliot’s poetry. There seems to be this universal idea that his poetry is not so well-liked by many people. Personally, after reading “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock”, I  really could not understand why this man’s poetry could be so disliked. Then I read “The Wasteland”….

I could read this poem 20 times and still not understand it in it’s  entirety. In fact, as I write this, I’m not even sure I know the overall concept of the poem.  The version I read came with footnotes, which I thought would help, but it did nothing but lead me to even more confusion. In each part, there appears to be a different speaker, in a different time and place, so it is hard to pinpoint any sort of continuity in the context of the poem. As if that’s not confusing enough,there also seems to be phrases in different languages in each section of the poem. I’m still not really sure what idea T.S Eliot is trying to convey by writing this poem, or why the poem is even titled “The Wasteland” , but I figure that it must be something brilliant. Otherwise, this would have been an easy read.

I would really like to understand the greatness of this poem.