April 6th, 1928

I was interested in hearing Jason’s view of things. So far in the novel we have gotten such a negative depiction of him, and he was only seen through the eyes of other characters. I thought that maybe by reading his section, I could get to see where he is coming from, and maybe even find some sort of compassion towards his character…

However, after I read this section, I realized that wow…Jason’s character is even more worse than I imagined.  He is the epitome of the “angry young man”. On one hand, it may seem like his bitterness towards life  is justified. Once his father died, he was automatically thrown into supporting the family, and as a result of  the demise of Caddy’s and Herbert’s marriage over Miss Quentin, also lost a potentially good job.It’s always a frustrating thing when things in life don’t go the way we planned them to. But I find that there is an evilness to his character that makes it hard to sympathize with him on any aspect on his life. I think that the  fact that he’s stealing money from his own sister is just deplorable. What’s even worse is that Mrs. Compton is completely oblivious to this.

At this point, if I had any ounce of the sympathy for Jason, it was diminished when he burned the tickets to the minstrel show in front of Luster. I don’t know how else to describe his character other than evil, or devilish. He has no compassion or regard for anyone but himself, and he doesn’t even care who he has to step on to get what he wants.

I must admit though, my favorite part was when Miss Quentin and the man in the red tie let the air out of one of his tires.