The Woman Warrior

I think it is possible for Maxine to¬† claim to be a “Woman Warrior”,but it is society that makes it difficult.

In the first section, she is inspired by the story of the “no-name woman” a.k.a the aunt that she once had who sacrificed her life and her newborn babies life in order to escape the trap of the their society. I think that story shows significance not only in woman’s role in society, but also sparks the need to rebel against it.

I think her fantasy of “Fa Mu Lan”, the woman warrior, is a complete contrast of what Maxine’s life is really like as a female in society. Maxine is very intelligent, and I think the fact that she is aware of the how society defines and thinks of women, and knows enough to know it’s wrong (as well as to act on it) supports her claim as a “Woman Warrior” even if it’s only just a fantasy.

This part can be frustrating, and I really like Maxine’s character. I think just based on the fact that she is not content in succumbing to the society’s pressures and expectations of a woman as well as expressing her dissatisfaction (something that was most likely unheard of in Chinese culture) is commendable.

I also can’t help but wonder if this is the book that inspired the animated Walt Disney movie “Mulan” that came out about 12 years ago. The name of the woman warrior in Maxine’s fantasy is “Fa Mu Lan” and the part where she cuts off her hair and poses as a man is eerily similar to the movie as well.