Shaman and At the Western Palace

I couldn’t help but notice a dramatic change in Maxine’s mother in these two sections. I think “bold” would describe it best.

First, we learn the details of her job as a midwife.Her job description required the task of exterminating newborn baby girls (as it was a common Chinese society practice. )

Before I go on, there’s something that I find terrible wrong with this idea.I never understood why they did this. or why this was even allowed. After doing a bit of research I found this explanation:

“the intentional killing of baby gi rls was due to the preference for male babies and from the low value associated with the birth of females.”

Okay, so we’re going to kill females.Regardless of the fact that’s it’s a female who has the ability to give birth to males,raise them,and prepare them so that they can serve society.  So unless Chinese society places a “low value” on the improvement and contribution to the population,  I cannot understand how this was accepted as any kind of  practical idea.

Anyway, it becomes totally clear in “At the Western Palace” just how brave Maxine’s mother is. Just in the treatment of the situation with her sister and her sister’s husband alone shows how much she has the ability to “take the reigns” on things. The fact that she was bold enough to even bring her sister to California, after she hasn’t seen her in 30 years, and confronts her sister’s husband about his  total abandonment of her sister reveals a lot of her character. I think just the fact that she was able to escape the traditional housewife/mother role is admirable to Maxine.

Maybe that’s why she’s “Brave Orchid.”